The winter months find many of us focused more on cleaning up the inside of our homes- especially if the Northwest weather is doing it’s thing! Many of our customers frequently ask us for recommendations on how to best clean their Stainless Steel appliances. Here are some valuable tips that we hope will be helpful.
First of all, determine whether the appliance is Stainless Steel or is actually brushed Chrome. Ask your appliance dealer or check the maintenance manual that came with the appliance. There are differences in cleaning recommendations between the two- brushed Chrome is a lot more sensitive to being scratched or damaged during cleaning.
For both Stainless Steel & brushed Chrome appliance surfaces:
- Always, always “wipe with the grain!”
- Do Not use chlorine Bleach or ANY cleaning product that contains Bleach.
- Check the instructions on the cleaner bottle label to make sure it is safe to use on either Stainless Steel or brushed Chrome.
For daily cleaning and light messes, a clean, soft cloth or sponge should be used with either:
- Mild detergent and water
- A 1:1 solution of white vinegar and water
- A glass and surface cleaner or a multi-surface cleaner (Ammonia-based cleaners are OK, or any of the more eco-friendly “green” plant-based solutions, too.)
- To polish and help prevent fingerprints, finish up with a Stainless Steel spray cleaner.
For moderate to heavy soil:
- a clean, soft cloth or damp sponge should be used with a non-abrasive cleaner, liquid- or powder-based, or you can try a baking soda cleaning paste. Next rinse well and dry.
Specific instructions for cleaning moderate to heavy soils, stains or discoloration on Stainless Steel appliances ONLY (these methods will SCRATCH brushed Chrome)
- Use a clean, damp sponge or soft cloth, and choose a mild abrasive Stainless Steel cleaner, similar to *Soft Scrub (without bleach).
- Rinse immediately and dry.
- Finish up with a Stainless Steel Spray, like *Stainless Steel Magic Spray.
*A-Appliance Repair Service makes absolutely no claims for the specific brands of cleaners mentioned in this post.